james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Uwe Rosebrock <...@rosebrock.org>
Subject Re: aliases
Date Thu, 05 Feb 2004 23:41:54 GMT
Hi guys,

>> If you really want to use it I will do it once I finished my current
>> project.
>
> I wondered how this ties into James' users, if there is a maping
> between
> users and addresses would it not be better to (eventually) include
> this in
> the account details, rather than an external mapping..
Danny,
one table reflects the user account, so the User - lookup is directed
to there too..

> If what you have works without altering James User functionality, and
> gets
> there using dynamic mapping of aliases then thats just fine (because
> it is
> self contained), but not a whole solution.
> IMHO a whole solution would have to have integrated (integrated with
> James'
> User repositories) support for multiple mail domains each having
> distinct
> user namespace.
That's right, that is what you get now with a more restrictive policy
on what domain can be assigned to what user name.

> (I've tested a solution which uses POP binding to IP addresses to
> decide
> which domains set of users to log you onto,
> and as a "named vhost"  alternative the use of full addresses as
> usernames
> to determine which domain to use. I had a hdd head crash and lost it,
> but
> to my mind any "complete" vhost solution would have to have unique user
> account namespaces for each mail domain. As POP3 makes it hard to
> identify
> what domain you think you are logging into the awkwardness arises
> there,
> and not with the internal handling of account names and mail routing)
see above, this becomes a management issue more than anything else, the
concept will prevail- map user account to aliases@domain.

Noel, Serge
fair enough, that just means to me that these parts of the code in
particular are still under heavy development (beyond state that to
which they always are - which I didn't they are...).
The comment I made was out of frustration to want to overwrite a public
method and having to replace the entire class.

Uwe