james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Why fighting spam with whitelists doesn't work [was Re: Contributing a mailet]
Date Wed, 04 Feb 2004 19:44:45 GMT

On 4 Feb 2004, at 11:23, <Bruno.Melloni@nokia.com> wrote:

> Stefano,
>
> Thanks, you make a great point against reject emails.
>
> It was not my intent to create a new reject email but rather to reject
> it at the incoming SMTP message level.
> But, as Serge mentions, I might
> not be able to do include the URL to apply for whitelist at the SMTP
> reject level, and anyway the mailet API does not support such
> functionality.  I was counting on such capabilities to do rejects
> without the annoying side effects you mentioned.  I obviously need to
> do
> more research into how to properly reject without causing extra emails.

> As to a whitelisted sender being infected by a worm and sending spam, I
> do not see that as a big flaw,

[sound of stefano banging his head on the wall]

> especially if you already have an
> anti-virus filter on your inbound mail filter chain (a normal
> precaution).

A clever worm spreads much more quickly than any anti-virus update. If
you think that worms are not a problem in today's internet, think
again.

Then again.

> I can't imagine a huge number of spams coming that way,

don't know what "huge" is for you but 400 a day is enough for me.

> and it would be easy to contact the sender and warn him of his
> infection.

Are you reading what I write? there is no way for me to know *who* is
infected.

Ok, enough. I already spent too much time on this.

--
Stefano.