james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Contributing a mailet
Date Tue, 03 Feb 2004 19:45:19 GMT

On 3 Feb 2004, at 04:33, Danny Angus wrote:

>> with the @author tag in javadocs.
>
> Actually the James  project don't put @author tags in our code,
> however it
> would be acceptable to add comments like "initiallly contributed
> by..." or
> "From work contributed by..." plus a mention in the docs/website.
>
> The reasons for this are fairly well established; we do want to
> acknowledge
> contributions and involvement but at the same time we want to
> discourage
> people from being too possesive about "their" code, this is a
> collaborative
> project.

Yes, I remember the discussion on avalon-dev. I totally agree that code
ownership is bad and evil.

> We want to avoid authors being contacted off list by people
> looking for support, but above all we want to ensure that liability
> for any
> piece of James is with the James PMC and/or the ASF and that no one can
> infer that a single individual might be liable for any single piece of
> code.

In cocoon we share the same concerns but believe that that @author tag
is a way to pay back for the submissions of the new committers who want
to feel proud of themselves.

Anyway, any project is different, and a sentence in the CREDITS page
sounds good to me as well.

--
Stefano.