james-server-dev mailing list archives

From <Bruno.Mell...@nokia.com>
Subject RE: Contributing a mailet
Date Tue, 03 Feb 2004 21:34:20 GMT
Angus, I apologize if I offended you in any way.  I did read your reply, as well as every bit
of information I could find on the Apache site in regard to this topic.  I understand that
by granting all intellectual rights to the ASF there is not much reason to sue the individual,
and that the ASF is able to defend itself.  But I live in the US and here there are very few
laws that protect the individual from corporate abuse (although some states are better at
it... unfortunately I literally live in the "wild west"), and frivolous lawsuits against the
author are considered normal "negotiating tactic".  This which puts us authors at risk regardless
of wrongdoing.  But thanks anyway for the clarification.

-----Original Message-----
From: ext Danny Angus [mailto:danny@apache.org]
Sent: Monday, February 02, 2004 4:51 PM
To: James Developers List
Subject: RE: Contributing a mailet

> But since I will not be protected from them, I don't think I can
> risk contributing it.

I didn't say that, what I said, if you had given me the courtesy to read the reply I had the
courtesy to send you was

"the ASF protects individuals against action
 being taken
 personally against them by itself being the owner, and licensor of the
 software. It is therefore a duty of all commiters to ensure that
 nothing is"

If you contributed your mailet, and *if* we chose to accept it, there would be nothing anyone
could gain by sueing *you*.
You would have granted a perpetual and irrevocable licence to the ASF to distribute your contribution
under the terms of the ASFL, and therfore they would have to sue the ASF.

We would be unlikely to accept a contribution that was likely to result in legal action, but
we're certainly not going to reject a contribution which is entirely legitimate, no matter
what commercial interests it might annoy.
Consider how much httpd annoys Microsoft, should the ASF be nice and stop distributing that?..
hell no!

d.