james-server-dev mailing list archives

From <Bruno.Mell...@nokia.com>
Subject RE: Contributing a mailet
Date Mon, 02 Feb 2004 16:44:32 GMT
Noel,

Could you please tell me whether you are replying as a "representative" of the James project,
or as a fellow contributor that knows the answers?

Also, I did not see anywhere in the James site a list of contributed mailets... kind of strange
considering that mailets are supposed to be the "main purpose" of James.  I probably missed
it.  Can you point me to the right URL?

a)
I'll preface that the mailet I am implementing is not for everyone.  I expect that 10% of
administrators will find it too restrictive, while the rest will probably find it ideal.

The mailet will reject all email from sources that were not preapproved in a whitelist.  Associated
tools will handle managing of the list and allow new HUMAN senders to request addition to
the list in a manner that is not annoying to the receiving user.

c)

I have read the ASF license and related info (or as much as I could understand), and it seems
acceptable since my primary goal is to end spam once and for all, but I'd like you to clarify
a couple of points:

1. Will I be able to keep credit as the author of the mailet?  If so, how?

2. If this anti-spam measure is as successful as I expect it to be, I fear that the spammers
of the world will try anything to kill it and the Microsofts of the world will try to steal
it.  Because of it I have been sitting on this design for 3 years.  Is it true that the Apache
Software Foundation provides free legal defense for its contributors if they are sued as a
consequence of a contribution?  If it is not, I will not be able to contribute it and will
have to go make it commercial just to make enough money to defend myself.

Bruno