james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Craig Raw <cr...@quirk.co.za>
Subject Re: aliases
Date Fri, 06 Feb 2004 07:28:25 GMT
Uwe Rosebrock wrote:
>>I doubt though that one table can cope with several domains
>>and several aliases per domain.
>
> Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> The table maps user@domain to a string.  The string follows certain rules to
> be parsable.  Craig Raw contributed the original code for XML format, which
> I have extended.

I chose the approach of a character-delimited string for the target addresses simply because
it is
easier to read. I host a James instance with close on a hundred email addresses spread over
30
domains, which is probably small by some standards. Using a separate row for each target address

mapping (which I tried) makes the table much more verbose as a whole and, IMHO, harder to
read. It
was just about being pragmatic.

As a semi-related side note, using the VirtualUserTable allows one to start receiving email
for a
new domain by just adding a new row in the database, as opposed to adding the server domain
in
<servernames> under oonfig.xml. This is of great value in that you can avoid restarting
James.

-Craig