james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Serge Knystautas <ser...@lokitech.com>
Subject Re: aliases
Date Thu, 05 Feb 2004 13:38:37 GMT
Uwe Rosebrock wrote:
> As to Noels argument about private fields, explain to me how you need to
> support something somebody else writes and deploys (meaning extends a
> service class adds some functionality...)? Providing protected access
> methods for fields is good coding practice and encourages use and
> expansion, the major principle of Open Source, or are we talking about
> different idea of Open Source here?

Your second sentence answers your first. :)  If we make methods
proected, then people can use and expand them.  That means we can't
change them and thereby have to support people who are using them.

As they are now, we can gut and reimplement anything that's private as
we realize better ways to do something.

--
Serge Knystautas
President