james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Richard O. Hammer" <ROHam...@EarthLink.net>
Subject Re: when to dot-stuff, dot-strip
Date Tue, 03 Feb 2004 14:08:54 GMT
Danny Angus wrote:
>>-- BUT I
>>NEVER USE IT IN THE DOT-STRIPPED CONDITION.
>
> Huh? internally do you mean?

I never use the bodies of the messages which have come in except to
send them out again.  They sit in a file until they are shipped out
again, and later the file is deleted.

> The choice is to develop some kind of logic to determine and mark the
> stuffing status of messages, or strip and stuff everything.
> I think the latter is safer ....

I agree, given that a system is already established and working.  But
for future development of MTAs there might be some simpler MTAs which
could entirely skip the coding of dot-stuffing and dot-stripping.  For
instance, if all you are running is an open relay :-?, then you can
entirely skip this dot business.

Thank you for your response, Danny.  I'll mention this on the
<ietf-smtp@imc.org> list, since it seems like an issue which may
relate to the specification.

Rich