james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Richard O. Hammer" <ROHam...@EarthLink.net>
Subject when to dot-stuff, dot-strip
Date Tue, 03 Feb 2004 01:29:26 GMT
The code of James, as I have come to know it, follows the directions
about dot stuffing and dot stripping, in RFC 2821 section 4.5.2 and
RFC 1939 section 3 paragraph 4.  I believe it is correct.

But, perhaps because my mind froze up decades ago when computer cycles
mattered, I notice that everything going through my server (an
offshoot of James) gets dot-stripped when it comes in through SMTP,
and dot-stuffed again when it goes out through SMTP or POP3 -- BUT I
NEVER USE IT IN THE DOT-STRIPPED CONDITION.  Why don't I just skip the
stuffing and stripping entirely?

Now I will need to keep dot-stuffing functionality around, at least
for use upon my own locally generated messages.  But it looks to me
like simplification and optimization are possible here, by confining
dot-stuffing and dot-stripping to those cases where it is ultimately
necessary.

My questions: Do you agree with this idea?  Have you seen it discussed
before?

Thanks,
Rich Hammer