james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Uwe Rosebrock <...@rosebrock.org>
Subject aliases
Date Thu, 05 Feb 2004 11:05:15 GMT
Hi Danny and Noel,

Danny, yes it does it properly, Noel I doubt though that one table can
cope with several domains and several aliases per domain.
I don't want to bore you with my approach, it is too simple anyway.

As to Noels argument about private fields, explain to me how you need
to support something somebody else writes and deploys (meaning extends
a service class adds some functionality...)? Providing protected access
methods for fields is good coding practice and encourages use and
expansion, the major principle of Open Source, or are we talking about
different idea of Open Source here?

I have major respect for what you guys are doing, but also haven't
started yesterday designing and developing software, I do that for a
living.

Uwe

PS. in case you want to know
I keep the actual address and the mail account (pop3 username)
separate, that solves the pop3 hassle (doesn't stop it from being the
same).
after that there is only use a mapping between domain, alias and pop3
username (and a few other things I like to use) - I am sure you  get
the idea.
The matcher just needs db access, since it doesn't have access to the
normal configuration architecture the condition param becomes a
absolute file path, from there you share a static instance of config...
Even without code you know what I am talking about, dead simple.

  I also created a table which contains a list of domains and ip which
are to be refused, an extension of server and handler do the rest,
since  I don't want to restart james all the time if I add or remove
some.