james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Knauf <akn...@xtra.co.nz>
Subject Re: JNDI Mailet Configuration
Date Sun, 02 Feb 2003 02:17:30 GMT
[Noel]
No, it really isn't a good point.  Please think about it.  It is actually a
spectacularly bad idea, and I say that as someone who likes JNDI.

Jesus - you don't pull any punches do you Noel?.  You seem to have
fairly strong views on this subject.  I don't.

As I mentioned before - JNDI is generally used in a write occasionally,
read often scenario.  It is optimized toward this.  JNDI is not
/designed/ for high volume write access.

Nor, however, is JavaMail.  JavaMail is designed as the client end of
the equation - not for high throughput.  In attempting to write our own
service provider we may run into scalability problems.

Not having written a service provider for either of these API's before,
I do not know how easy it would be to achieve our requirements.

Neither of these is a silver bullet.  Until we have found the silver
bullet, it might be better not to throw anything out?

ADK