james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Gordon Ross" <G.R...@ccw.gov.uk>
Subject Sticking with one undeliverable message
Date Fri, 08 Mar 2002 08:41:19 GMT
Hi,

You've probabley seen me open my big mouth in the users forum, so here
I am to make a complete fool of myself...

I've had a look at the source for the "current" version of James
(2.0a2) to look at the problem of the smtp mailer sticking with one
undeliverable message. (which incidently is the bug that I logged on
bugzilla)

>From what I can see, in the JamesSpoolManager run() method, a message
is obtained via accept(), and then delivery attempted for that message.
(Fair enough) and if delivery fails, the exception is trapped. However,
nothing else happens when this exception is caught. Also, as accept()
provides no guarentee as to the order in which messages are retrieved
from the spool, then there is every chance that the faulty message will
be returned straight away.

My Suggestion, is that:

1) Instead of using accept(), accept(delay) should be used.

2) If the message cannot be delivered, then it should be updated via
setLastUpdated(), so that accept(delay) won't retireve it straight
away.

However, before I try this, one question I have is:

How/where does the system check whether a message has exceeded is
re-try count and bouce it back ?

GTG

Gordon Ross,
Network Manager,