james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Michael Kaegi" <...@brainware.ch>
Subject Re: javax.mail.Session access protection (part IV),
Date Tue, 12 Mar 2002 14:05:27 GMT
Hi Serge and Danny

First, thanx for your patience with me.

Yes I'm wrong with my assumption that you can hack (send email through)
the JAMES default javax.mail.Session.

Now I understand the problem. The SMTP specification specifies no
authentication (user, password) mechanism. Therefore my application can
send emails, without a valid authentication, over a SMTP server.

A security hole? Therefore?

A SMTP server can be configured to allow\ignore SMTP "request" from
machines. The default configuration of JAMES is to allow only SMTP
"request" from the local machine.

To make SMTP secure (for "remote request" and "local request") the SMTP
AUTH specification was written.

Now I'm on the right way?

Thanx a lot?

Bye