james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Danny Angus" <da...@thought.co.uk>
Subject RE: javax.mail.Session access protection (part III)
Date Sat, 09 Mar 2002 16:15:41 GMT
False assumptions I'm afraid..

To connect to a SMTP host you must have the SMTP host
> address, an
> user account and a password.

No, all you need is an email address .. using DNS your app (in this case
javax.Mail) will locate the appropriate host, and send the mail using SMTP
on prot 25.

> But in the JAMESMailSessionHackTest
> class is no
> SMTP host address, user account or a password specified. If you
> do the test

Yes, in fact you have specified enough:...
mm.addRecipient(Message.RecipientType.TO, new
InternetAddress("test@localhost"));
...to tell javax mail everything it needs to know to deliver the message to
localhost.

> (previous email) then I think you should be surprised then the
> JAMESMailSessionHackTest class can send the email even though the
> connection
> could not be established normally. Or?

Why do you say that? if you telnet to localhost 25 you should see James'
hello message.

You appear to have merely written a programme that sends an email to
test@localhost.

d.