james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Samuel Sadek" <samuel_sa...@hotmail.com>
Subject Db connections pool in JAMES
Date Thu, 07 Mar 2002 19:44:36 GMT
I have discovered an undocumented feature within JAMES 2.02a using a db
repository as opposed to a file system version. There is a <max> tag which
JAMES users can make use of to avoid the annoying situations where JAMES has
run out of db connections from pool. The default setting is only 2 which is
obviously not fit for live production purposes. I have used this tag to
include a maximum limit of 10 connections and have come to the conclusion
that I have not seen this error which is great news. I think communicating
this feature to users and possibly making suggestions as to the limit of db
connections in the pool is in order and would definitely help people! I have
posted an example of this setting:

In the case for oracle backed-up db repository,

<data-source name="maildb"
class="org.apache.james.util.mordred.JdbcDataSource">
            <driver>oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver</driver>

<dburl>jdbc:oracle:thin:@orange.secemail.dnsalias.com:1521:mail01</dburl>
            <user>anyuser</user>
            <password>anypassword</password>
	    <max>10</max>
</data-source>

The above <max> tag sets a db connection pool of 10. This is configurable by
the client.

Sam.