james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Hammant <Paul_Hamm...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: SPAM #3
Date Thu, 21 Mar 2002 22:34:19 GMT
Question,

Spammers use an openrelay SMTP server to post thru.  Let's call that
machine A.  They make their headers appear to be from elsewhere.  Let's
say that is machine B (it might be real or not).  When the mail arrives
at machine C (it's desination), that mail server can see evidence of B
(clearly), but also information pertaining to A?  Or is it that only
information from some uplink A connects to is evident?

If C sends a digest (subject of a new RFC) to B of the message through
SMTP saying "did you send this?", then there are two possibilities - (1)
The answer is "no I did not", or (2) no such mail server.  Does A have
record of the email?  If it does, can it determine that it was from the
real email user?  Does this cover all the bases?

Hmmm, I have half a feeling that this has been explained to me already.....

Regards,

- Paul