james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Hammant <Paul_Hamm...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: SPAM handling.
Date Tue, 05 Mar 2002 09:34:27 GMT
Danny,

I appreciate there are blocks that can be put up using the current
protocols, but my contention is that blocks are the wrong solution.  See
http://news.com.com/2100-1023-850761.html.

What we need is some solution (that possibly changes the SMTP protocol)
that does not upset whole countries and closes the spoofing loopholes.
 We will still be spammed, but the originators will be easier to find.

I still think that we should migrate to a new, say, SMTP2 solution that
closes all the loopholes (upgrades to XML headers at the same time).  At
some point in the future mail administrators choose to turn off support
to old SMTP and any mail servers trying to forward mail for them find
they just cannot connect.  I.e. we are shooting the messanger in this
case (with bullet that takes two years to percolate through the system).

My point is there smart enough brains in this list who can design
son-of-SMTP and propose it to the IETF.

- Paul