james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Danny Angus" <da...@thought.co.uk>
Subject Version numbers...
Date Thu, 10 Jan 2002 11:49:59 GMT
I'd like to propose that we use a version number system like that used by
bugzilla, namely that the head of CVS have an even minor number and
milestone releases have the opposite, in addition "nightly" releases would
have the same version number as the current CVS.

Thus CVS is currently 2.0a2, when we make a milestone release it would be
released as 2.0a3 and CVS would advance to 2.0a4, that way there would be no
confusion between bugs reported against released versions and bugs reported
against nightly builds/cvs.

this is the explanation from bugzilla..

"We only place tarballs of even-numbered minor versions on the FTP server.
The installed version on bugzilla.mozilla.org (and the most recent CVS
version, which is a slightly newer version than the installed version)
always have an odd-numbered minor version. If you want to get exactly the
code that mozilla.org is running, you're out of luck (they make internal
patches just like everyone else), but you can get pretty close by using CVS,
and the minor version number will be odd. If you want a more stable release,
you can use a tarball, and the minor version number will be even. "

d.