james-mime4j-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSSION] make most of mime4j immutable
Date Thu, 16 May 2013 12:20:33 GMT
On Thu, 2013-05-16 at 13:41 +0200, Stefano Bagnara wrote:
> 2013/5/16 Oleg Kalnichevski <olegk@apache.org>:
> > On Thu, 2013-05-16 at 10:59 +0200, Stefano Bagnara wrote:
> >> With a similar refactoring you are telling that everyone will be moved
> >> to a "all in memory parsing" unless they add support for storage
> >> manager in their applications/libraries.
> >
> > This is the default mode already.
>
> I know this, but a new release could have included a "fallback to
> filesystem over 100KB" strategy by default and the current users
> wouldn't need to change a thing.
> But maybe we won't ever do a similar thing by default, so you're
> convincing me ;-)

The reason why we ought not do it by default is to ensure the user is
aware of implications of having content overflowing to a temporary
persistent storage potentially accessible by other users, processes,
etc.

> > That would not need to change. Lazy parsing would not need to go away.
>
> I don't get how you do both immutable and lazy, but if we can keep
> lazy parsing then my main argument goes away and I'm happy to follow
> your changes!

A volatile flag may need to get flipped but as far as the consumer is
concerned the object remains in _exactly_ the same state as before.

> I suggested you should proceed with the changes you proposed: as I
> already wrote I trust your skills and from your answers I see we share
> the goals (keep lazy parsing, let people use dom api to build
> messages), so there's no reason I should stop you from improving
> mime4j! :-)
>
> And just to be sure the are no misunderstanding: in my opinion you can
> simply continue to work in SVN even without answering this message!
> Code is the best answer, sometimes, and I'm sorry I submit too few
> code and too much mailing list posts ;-)  Power to active committers!

I'll be on vacation next week and likely to get sucked in by HC related
stuff afterwards. We'll see where we stand in a few months.

Oleg