james-mime4j-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject [RFC] Binary compatibility between 0.7 and 0.8?
Date Fri, 10 May 2013 19:42:55 GMT
Folks

I have some spare cycles I can invest in mime4j. I am presently going
through test cases, cleaning them up, and also making (fairly) minor
changes to core classes that do not affect binary compatibility with the
0.7 branch. At some point, though, I would like to start making more
fundamental changes that can potentially cause API incompatibility. This
especially concerns DOM APIs redesign discussed some while ago. Up to
now we never truly cared about maintaining binary compatibility between
0.x releases. This makes our lives as developers easier but makes it
more difficult for users to upgrade.

Do we want to adopt a more conservative approach with 0.8 release? The
only downside to keeping old deprecated classes around is having to
choose different, often longer and uglier, names for essentially the
same things. For instance, we will have to pick a different name for
MessageBuilder if we want to deprecate and keep the old code.

What do you think?

Oleg