james-mime4j-dev mailing list archives

From Andreas Veithen <andreas.veit...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Issues in Axiom after recent changes in MIME4J
Date Wed, 10 Apr 2013 20:22:57 GMT
The issue still occurs randomly, even on Ubuntu. I investigated this a
bit further, and I noticed the following.

I inspected the logs of a build that produced an artifact without OSGi
manifest and I saw this:

[INFO] --- maven-bundle-plugin:2.3.7:bundle (default-bundle) @
apache-mime4j-core ---
[INFO]
[INFO] --- maven-jar-plugin:2.4:jar (jar) @ apache-mime4j-core ---
[INFO] Building jar:
/home/jenkins/jenkins-slave/workspace/mime4j-trunk/trunk/core/target/apache-mime4j-core-0.8.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
[INFO]

On the other hand, for one of the builds that was successful, the
output is different:

[INFO] --- maven-bundle-plugin:2.3.7:bundle (default-bundle) @
apache-mime4j-core ---
[INFO]
[INFO] --- maven-jar-plugin:2.4:jar (jar) @ apache-mime4j-core ---
[INFO]

Normally, there is an up-to-date check that should cause the
maven-jar-plugin to skip the execution of the jar goal because
maven-bundle-plugin already generated the JAR. It looks like for some
unknown reason that up-to-date check is not deterministic, and
sometimes maven-jar-plugin replaces the JAR generated by
maven-bundle-plugin. In that case maven-jar-plugin generates its own
MANIFEST.MF (which is expected) instead of using the manifest
generated by maven-bundle-plugin.

That being said, since the packaging of the project is "bundle", there
actually shouldn't be any execution of the jar goal at all. It turns
out that the execution is configured by the
org.apache.james:james-project parent POM and that that configuration
was added between 1.8.1 and 1.8.2. You switched that version in
r1457430 (Sun Mar 17 12:08:05 2013), and this is indeed when the
problems started.

Can you temporarily revert that change so that we can confirm the
analysis and check if it stabilizes the build? Once we confirm that
the build becomes deterministic again with
org.apache.james:james-project:1.8.1 you can check what modifications
need to be done on the parent POM to avoid the issue.

Andreas