james-mime4j-dev mailing list archives

From Ioan Eugen Stan <stan.ieu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Issues in Axiom after recent changes in MIME4J
Date Sun, 24 Mar 2013 09:23:09 GMT
Hello Andreas,

Sorry for breaking your code. I didn't expect people to use SNAPSHOT
versions as a dependency in their code. I've looked at Axiom. Nice
project, didn't know about it.

[1] https://builds.apache.org/job/ws-axiom-trunk/

On Sat, Mar 23, 2013 at 11:51 AM, Andreas Veithen
<andreas.veithen@gmail.com> wrote:
> All,
> As you may know, Apache Axiom uses MIME4J (actually mime4j-core). We
> switched from our own custom MIME processing code to MIME4J more than
> a year and a half ago and we are very happy with the results: it
> allows Axiom to do some extra optimizations and since the switch no
> issues have ever been reported.

Great to hear!

> Our builds are configured to use the latest snapshot (now
> 0.8.0-SNAPSHOT). A couple of days ago, there have been a bunch of
> changes in MIME4J and we detected a couple of issues with recent
> snapshots:
> 1. Our OSGi tests sometimes fail with the following error:
> org.ops4j.pax.runner.platform.PlatformException:
> [file:/home/jenkins/jenkins-slave/workspace/ws-axiom-trunk/.repository/org/apache/james/apache-mime4j-core/0.8.0-SNAPSHOT/apache-mime4j-core-0.8.0-SNAPSHOT.jar]
> is not a valid bundle
> It turns out that this error occurs only if the last mime4-core
> snapshot has been built on Solaris. If the snapshot has been built on
> Ubuntu, the problem doesn't occur. It looks like there is a platform
> specific issue in the MIME4J build, more precisely in the generation
> of the OSGi bundle manifest.

Thanks for reporting this issue. It bugged me a lot since it happened
quite "random". I've fixed the build and restricted it to Ubuntu.

> 2. mime4j-core is now compiled for Java 1.6, but the target version
> for Axiom is still Java 1.5. The discussion about the Java version
> already came up some time ago [1], and I think that the conclusions
> are still valid. Quoting Oleg: "We should upgrade to Java 1.6 only if
> there is a compelling reason to do so." Can you please configure at
> least mime4j-core for Java 1.5?

Changed compiler plugin settings for core to build 1.5. Give it a spin
and comment on [1] . We'll keep core at 1.5 as much as possible. I'm
planning some API changes in the future for mime4j. It will be nice if
I would get some feedback then.

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MIME4J-226
[2] http://svn.apache.org/r1460288

> In the meantime we will switch back to the latest MIME4J release.
> Andreas
> [1] http://markmail.org/thread/p5ojyzlns4c45cc6

Ioan Eugen Stan

View raw message