james-mime4j-dev mailing list archives

From Andreas Veithen <andreas.veit...@gmail.com>
Subject Issues in Axiom after recent changes in MIME4J
Date Sat, 23 Mar 2013 09:51:56 GMT
All,

As you may know, Apache Axiom uses MIME4J (actually mime4j-core). We
switched from our own custom MIME processing code to MIME4J more than
a year and a half ago and we are very happy with the results: it
allows Axiom to do some extra optimizations and since the switch no
issues have ever been reported.

Our builds are configured to use the latest snapshot (now
0.8.0-SNAPSHOT). A couple of days ago, there have been a bunch of
changes in MIME4J and we detected a couple of issues with recent
snapshots:

1. Our OSGi tests sometimes fail with the following error:

org.ops4j.pax.runner.platform.PlatformException:
[file:/home/jenkins/jenkins-slave/workspace/ws-axiom-trunk/.repository/org/apache/james/apache-mime4j-core/0.8.0-SNAPSHOT/apache-mime4j-core-0.8.0-SNAPSHOT.jar]
is not a valid bundle

It turns out that this error occurs only if the last mime4-core
snapshot has been built on Solaris. If the snapshot has been built on
Ubuntu, the problem doesn't occur. It looks like there is a platform
specific issue in the MIME4J build, more precisely in the generation
of the OSGi bundle manifest.

2. mime4j-core is now compiled for Java 1.6, but the target version
for Axiom is still Java 1.5. The discussion about the Java version
already came up some time ago [1], and I think that the conclusions
are still valid. Quoting Oleg: "We should upgrade to Java 1.6 only if
there is a compelling reason to do so." Can you please configure at
least mime4j-core for Java 1.5?

In the meantime we will switch back to the latest MIME4J release.

Andreas

[1] http://markmail.org/thread/p5ojyzlns4c45cc6