james-mime4j-dev mailing list archives

From Rickard Ekeroth <R.Eker...@albourne.com>
Subject Re: Content-Type Fallback Character Set
Date Fri, 02 Nov 2012 14:05:31 GMT
Hello Oleg!

I have posted an issue in JIRA (MIME4J-218) now.

Regards,

Rickard Ekeroth
Albourne Partners (Cyprus) Ltd.

If you are not an intended recipient of this e-mail, please notify the sender, delete it and
do not read, act upon, print, disclose, copy, retain or redistribute it. Please visit http://www.albourne.com/email.html
for important additional terms relating to this e-mail.

----- Original Message -----

From: "Oleg Kalnichevski" <olegk@apache.org>
To: mime4j-dev@james.apache.org
Sent: Wednesday, October 31, 2012 12:23:28 PM
Subject: Re: Content-Type Fallback Character Set

On Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 03:47:30PM -0000, Rickard Ekeroth wrote:
> Hello Oleg!
>
> Here is the relevant part of the exception stack trace:
>
> Caused by: java.io.UnsupportedEncodingException: x-user-defined
> at sun.nio.cs.StreamDecoder.forInputStreamReader(StreamDecoder.java:52)
> at java.io.InputStreamReader.<init>(InputStreamReader.java:83)
> at org.apache.james.mime4j.message.BasicTextBody.getReader(BasicTextBody.java:49)
>
> We receive, parse and archive a vast number of confidential e-mail messages (for which
we use Mime4J) and every now and then we get an e-mail message that contains a non-standard
character encoding name (in this case 'x-user-defined'). With the old (0.6) Mime4J version
we were still able to parse and read most of those e-mail messages because of the fallback
character set in the parser.

> I can unfortunately not post the entire message here but the content-type header that
caused the above exception looks like this:

> Regards,
>
> Rickard Ekeroth
> Albourne Partners (Cyprus) Ltd.

Hi Rickard

The exception stack trace and the Content-Type header alone should be sufficient. Please raiase
a change request in JIRA nonetheless. I'll try to get around to implementing it. JIRA will
help keep track of the progress or lack thereof.

Oleg