james-mime4j-dev mailing list archives

From Rickard Ekeroth <R.Eker...@albourne.com>
Subject Re: Content-Type Fallback Character Set
Date Mon, 29 Oct 2012 15:47:30 GMT
Hello Oleg!

Here is the relevant part of the exception stack trace:

Caused by: java.io.UnsupportedEncodingException: x-user-defined
at sun.nio.cs.StreamDecoder.forInputStreamReader(StreamDecoder.java:52)
at java.io.InputStreamReader.<init>(InputStreamReader.java:83)
at org.apache.james.mime4j.message.BasicTextBody.getReader(BasicTextBody.java:49)

We receive, parse and archive a vast number of confidential e-mail messages (for which we
use Mime4J) and every now and then we get an e-mail message that contains a non-standard character
encoding name (in this case 'x-user-defined'). With the old (0.6) Mime4J version we were still
able to parse and read most of those e-mail messages because of the fallback character set
in the parser.

I can unfortunately not post the entire message here but the content-type header that caused
the above exception looks like this:

Regards,

Rickard Ekeroth
Albourne Partners (Cyprus) Ltd.

If you are not an intended recipient of this e-mail, please notify the sender, delete it and
do not read, act upon, print, disclose, copy, retain or redistribute it. Please visit http://www.albourne.com/email.html
for important additional terms relating to this e-mail.