james-mime4j-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Content-Type Fallback Character Set
Date Wed, 31 Oct 2012 10:23:28 GMT
On Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 03:47:30PM -0000, Rickard Ekeroth wrote:
> Hello Oleg!
>
> Here is the relevant part of the exception stack trace:
>
> Caused by: java.io.UnsupportedEncodingException: x-user-defined
> at sun.nio.cs.StreamDecoder.forInputStreamReader(StreamDecoder.java:52)
> at java.io.InputStreamReader.<init>(InputStreamReader.java:83)
> at org.apache.james.mime4j.message.BasicTextBody.getReader(BasicTextBody.java:49)
>
> We receive, parse and archive a vast number of confidential e-mail messages (for which
we use Mime4J) and every now and then we get an e-mail message that contains a non-standard
character encoding name (in this case 'x-user-defined'). With the old (0.6) Mime4J version
we were still able to parse and read most of those e-mail messages because of the fallback
character set in the parser.

> I can unfortunately not post the entire message here but the content-type header that
caused the above exception looks like this:

> Regards,
>
> Rickard Ekeroth
> Albourne Partners (Cyprus) Ltd.

Hi Rickard

The exception stack trace and the Content-Type header alone should be sufficient. Please raiase
a change request in JIRA nonetheless. I'll try to get around to implementing it. JIRA will
help keep track of the progress or lack thereof.

Oleg