james-mime4j-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Bagnara <apa...@bago.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSSION] make most of mime4j immutable
Date Mon, 03 Sep 2012 07:39:14 GMT
At the moment the dom interfaces are also used to alter/create
messages using mime4j so they cannot be made immutable.

I don't see big advantages in making it thread safe as I don't see
many use case where a single message is parsed into a dom and read by
multiple threads concurrently: can you provide an use case?

On the other side immutability could bring us some performance, but
this doesn't require an API change: if this is the goal then we could
provide an immutable dom implementation and let a specific builder to
build the dom using immutable classes (that will throw exceptions if
some setter is called).

Stefano