james-mime4j-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSSION] make most of mime4j immutable
Date Tue, 04 Sep 2012 09:46:48 GMT
On Mon, 2012-09-03 at 09:39 +0200, Stefano Bagnara wrote:
> At the moment the dom interfaces are also used to alter/create
> messages using mime4j so they cannot be made immutable.

I think this can also be done with the builder pattern by making builder
accept an existing message or an InputStream content as an input. My
concern here would be about efficiency. It would probably be unwise to
end up with an implementation that causes a significant amount of
intermediate copying just to have one extra field added or modified.

> I don't see big advantages in making it thread safe as I don't see
> many use case where a single message is parsed into a dom and read by
> multiple threads concurrently: can you provide an use case?

One must be mad to modify mime messages concurrently by multiple
threads. Still, the idea of making DOM level interfaces immutable is
worth pursuing, even at the price of API changes.

+1 to the overall idea.

Oleg