james-mime4j-dev mailing list archives

From Tze-Kei Lee <chi...@gmail.com>
Subject Fallback charset in DecoderUtil.decodeEncodedWords ?
Date Mon, 30 Jan 2012 10:13:20 GMT
Hi,

I am trying to decode emails with MIME content using mime4j.

Sometimes the charset of encoded word of a RFC 2047 encoding is not a
valid charset name (usually it's a spam),
but several client will try to decode it with fallback charset when
dealing subject (outlook/live mail will try system locale, thunderbird
will try UTF-8, and gmail will try both).

I suggest adding an optional fallback charset argument so
tryDecodeEncodedWord could try to decode with fallback charset instead
of return null.

Best Regards

Tze-Kei