james-mime4j-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Bagnara <apa...@bago.org>
Subject Re: Switching from 0.6 to 0.7.1 - address parsing, CRLF issues
Date Sun, 18 Dec 2011 11:57:44 GMT
2011/12/18 Lukáš Vlček <lukas.vlcek@gmail.com>:
> Hi again,
>
> there is another difference between 0.6 and 0.7.1
>
> It happens when I need to parse message with weird charset 'x-gbk'.
>
> I added a new test case into my github repo for both 0.6 and 0.7.1 versions.
> Basically the problem happens when I try to get Reader from the TextBody:
>
> Message message = getMessage(....);
> TextBody body = (TextBody) message.getBody();
> body.getReader(); // here the exception is fired
>
> It worked fine in 0.6 but it yields UnsupportedEncodingException in 0.7.1
> which is quite unfortunate because I do not see way how to extract body
> content from it in this case (as I need to get the Reader first).
>
> Here are examples:
> 0.6
> https://github.com/lukas-vlcek/mime4j-test/blob/backto06/src/test/java/org/mime4j/test/BasicTest.java#L134
> 0.7.1
> https://github.com/lukas-vlcek/mime4j-test/blob/workaround/src/test/java/org/mime4j/test/BasicTest.java#L134
>
> Any idea hot to deal with this situation?
>
> Note, I understand that 'x-gbk' is unknown charset for JVM but even in such
> case I was able to extract the body content by forcing 'gbk' charset
> instead into my utility classes in 0.6, however, with 0.7.1 I am unable to
> do it because the very basic body.getReader call fails... is there any
> workaround how to get the body Reader and not to get the exception?

Please open a JIRA issue, attach your test case and the stack trace of
the exception you get.
I guess we can classify this as a bug because we want to give users a
way to deal with malformed stuff, so also unrecognized charsets.

I don't know if we already have an existing workaround but the JIRA
issue will anyway help keeping track of the issue for future users.

Stefano