james-mime4j-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Bagnara <apa...@bago.org>
Subject Re: Is it possible to have this mail parsed correctly?
Date Fri, 09 Dec 2011 15:35:51 GMT
2011/12/7 Lukáš Vlček <lukas.vlcek@gmail.com>:
> Hi,
>
> The following is a eml source of a short mail:
> https://gist.github.com/5a9b383c1dc048fac6d4
>
> The following is a link to public (Mailman) pipermail rendered
> representation of the same mail:
> http://lists.jboss.org/pipermail/jboss-cluster-dev/2008-April/000000.html
>
> Note how the sign in the footer of the email contains name "Zamarreño".
>
> When using mime4j I am getting "Zamarreño" instead (tested with both 0.6
> and 0.7.1).
>
> Is mime4j able to parse this mail the same way as Mailman (2.1.9) can do it?

mime4j is doing the right thing.
The message declares the charset as ISO-8859-1 and then use an UTF8 sequence.
So if you really want to use ñ in an ISO-8859-1 message make sure you
also use the right bytes (F1 is the right ISO-8859-1 instead "C3 B1"
is the UTF8 sequence).

The gist is displayed correctly on your browser because your browser
uses utf8 to show it to you: force it to ISO-8859-1 and you will see
the same sequence that mime4j gives you.

Stefano