james-mime4j-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: mime4j and Java 1.6
Date Tue, 22 Nov 2011 11:37:38 GMT
On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 12:07:05PM +0100, Felix Knecht wrote:
> Hi Andreas
>
> Java 1.5 has reached it's EOL already 2 years ago [1]. ATM there's not
> yet a particular reason to need Java 1.6 but it's an invitation to
> switch to Java 1.6 (which is also already quite mature) and a
> preparation for next release of mime4j which may have particular reasons
> to need at least Java 1.6. The James project in general agreed to move
> to Java 1.6.
>
> Regards
> Felix
>
> [1] http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5/
>
> On 11/22/2011 11:43 AM, Andreas Veithen wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I noticed that since today (I guess since r1204874), mime4j trunk
>> requires Java 1.6. This makes it unusable for Apache Axiom because we
>> need to support Java 1.5. Is there a particular reason for this
>> change?
>>
>> Andreas

Felix, et al

We should upgrade to Java 1.6 only if there is a compelling reason to do so. There are still
enough applications out there that need to maintain compatibility with Java 1.5 for all sorts
of reasons.

At the very least it would be prudent to keep 0.7.x series of releases binary compatible and
upgrade to a new Java version as of next feature release.

Oleg