james-mime4j-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Bagnara <apa...@bago.org>
Subject Re: As far as I am concerned 0.7 is ready
Date Tue, 19 Jul 2011 09:00:30 GMT
2011/7/19 Oleg Kalnichevski <olegk@apache.org>:
> On Mon, 2011-07-18 at 22:18 +0200, Stefano Bagnara wrote:

>> > Sorry for being blunt but MessageServiceFactory / ServiceLocator stuff
>> > was not of my making. I had nothing to do with it and have nothing to
>> > contribute there.
>>
>> What we have now is the result of what I did in a first place and how
>> you changed it to make it pass your review.
>>
>> You wanted to remove the abstract classes in favor of interfaces for
>> parser/builders and wanted to remove that methods I added (e.g:
>> setDecodeMonitor was a method of the public api abstract class), so
>> you can't say "I had nothing to do with it", now ;-)
>>

> Stefano
>
> MessageServiceFactory is an abstract class, not an interface. So, I have
> no idea what you are talking about. Feel free to add whatever methods to
> that class you please.

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/james/mime4j/trunk/dom/src/main/java/org/apache/james/mime4j/dom/MessageBuilder.java?revision=923012&view=markup&pathrev=1137643

You see we had an abstract MessageBuilder (now it is an interface) and
that abstract class exposed setDecodeMonitor.

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/james/mime4j/trunk/dom/src/main/java/org/apache/james/mime4j/dom/MessageBuilder.java?r1=958717&r2=1063904&pathrev=1137643

You see this revision is when YOU changed from abstract class to
interface and removed the setDecodeMonitor. I'm talking of this very
method and that very class/interface.

I simply found that after your refactorings I was not able anymore to
use the decodemonitor (while previously I used them and used in a
typed manner), so I asked if this was intended and how you wanted me
to deal with it (I know how I would like it to work, but we already
saw that my solution is not acceptable to you, so I simply asked you
what was acceptable and it sounded weird when you replied that you had
nothing to do with this stuff).

I now added the DecodeMonitor as a setAttribute for the factory as for
your request but it was not in the factory previously.

If adding typed methods to the MessageServiceFactory (for things we
now have in setAttribute) is acceptable to you then I'll vet them and
add methods I think are to there stay for 0.8. It is an abstract class
so we can add this new methods in future with no backward
compatibility issues.

Hope this explains "what I'm talking about" :-)

I succesfully upgraded jdkim and 2 local projects to the current
trunk. I had no time to try to upgrade imap/mailbox to see if anything
else is needed, but I don't plan to have time soon, so unless Norman
wants to look at it, IMO we can proceed to the release.

Stefano