james-mime4j-dev mailing list archives

From Tony Zakula <tonyzak...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Headless mail renderer
Date Thu, 12 May 2011 12:21:49 GMT
Hi Robert.  Thank you for the detailed response and links.

On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 3:00 AM, Robert Burrell Donkin
<robertburrelldonkin@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, May 8, 2011 at 2:44 PM, Tony Zakula <tonyzakula@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Not sure on where the project leaders want to go,
>
> Projects are community led here at Apache (see eg [1][2][3][4]). If
> there's development interest from the community and it's in scope for
> the project, then that's a direction the code will move in.
>
>> but I think being
>> able to store messages in different formats to be able to plugin to
>> systems would be great.  Instead of each person writing their own
>> parser, most people would just plugin the larger piece to their system
>> and start there.
>
> +1
>
> This vision seems to fit with the work over at Tika [5] and Lucene [6].
>
>> I did not see where you specified what you are thinking about for
>> summer.  Is that a link somewhere yet?
>
> The mailing lists (see [7] and eg [8]) are the primary tools we use
> here at Apache. Stuff only tends to get written down later, if at all.
> We've been throwing ideas around on the lists, hoping that people
> might pick some of them up and run with them ;-)
>
> Robert
>
> [1] http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html
> [2] http://www.apache.org/foundation/getinvolved.html
> [3] http://jakarta.apache.org/site/contributing.html
> [4] http://www.apache.org/dev/contributors.html
> [5] http://tika.apache.org/
> [6] http://lucene.apache.org/
> [7] http://www.apache.org/dev/#mail
> [8] http://www.apache.org/dev/contrib-email-tips.html

I am on a few Apache lists.  However, I guess I did not see on this
list ideas being tossed about for where to go with Mime4J this summer.
 Maybe I missed it or the discussion was on a list I am not on
presently.   I would love to become a contributor to an Apache project
if I can make time to do it.

If you have a recommendation for me to join a list besides Mime4J,
please let me know.

Thanks,

Tony Z