james-mime4j-dev mailing list archives

From Tony Zakula <tonyzak...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Headless mail renderer
Date Thu, 12 May 2011 12:35:21 GMT
Hi Eric,

I would be more than happy to release the code now even though it is
not entirely finished if you are interested.  The parsing part is
pretty good, and I am using it in a production project right now.  I
am not sure it will fit your bill though as I am using it on a mail
server to do message list bounce processing.  Although I write Java
code for a living, I wanted to make it easy to modify this utility on
a running server so I used an open source project I contribute to at
Mynajs.org which is built on top of the Mozilla Rhino project.  I use
Mime4J, but my code is written in JavaScript.

I would be more than happy to release the code now if you are interested.

Please let me know.

On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 11:21 PM, Eric Charles <eric@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi Tony,
> We are starting to work on MAILBOX-44 "Design and implement a distributed
> mailbox using Hadoop" [1]
> We will need to store the mail in hadoop and the JSON format (in avro file)
> may be a option.
> You said you are "still polishing for release" your JSON transformer.
> Have you got any plan to release it in opensource so we could use it ?
> Tks,
> Eric
> [1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MAILBOX-44
> On 10/05/2011 10:00, Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:
>> On Sun, May 8, 2011 at 2:44 PM, Tony Zakula<tonyzakula@gmail.com>  wrote:
>>> Not sure on where the project leaders want to go,
>> Projects are community led here at Apache (see eg [1][2][3][4]). If
>> there's development interest from the community and it's in scope for
>> the project, then that's a direction the code will move in.
>>> but I think being
>>> able to store messages in different formats to be able to plugin to
>>> systems would be great.  Instead of each person writing their own
>>> parser, most people would just plugin the larger piece to their system
>>> and start there.
>> +1
>> This vision seems to fit with the work over at Tika [5] and Lucene [6].
>>> I did not see where you specified what you are thinking about for
>>> summer.  Is that a link somewhere yet?
>> The mailing lists (see [7] and eg [8]) are the primary tools we use
>> here at Apache. Stuff only tends to get written down later, if at all.
>> We've been throwing ideas around on the lists, hoping that people
>> might pick some of them up and run with them ;-)
>> Robert
>> [1] http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html
>> [2] http://www.apache.org/foundation/getinvolved.html
>> [3] http://jakarta.apache.org/site/contributing.html