james-mime4j-dev mailing list archives

From Tony Zakula <tonyzak...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Headless mail renderer
Date Fri, 13 May 2011 14:02:40 GMT
Hi Eric,

> We've got also the apache-extras [1] which is mercurial (hosted by google
> for addons to apache projects).

That good.  I will check it out.  I prefer mercurial.

> I was wondering if the parser can be used without the full myna server. I
> mean, we simply need to parse mail, not to configure a full server with
> users,... ([2]).

The core Java part of Myna to run the JS is only 4 Java classes to
wrap the Mozilla Rhino runtime.  All of the rest of the functionality
is provided via JavaScript.  I will carbon copy the main developer of
Myna on this message, but I am pretty sure we can create a trimmed
down version very easily.  Worst case scenario if you could not
integrate it, a Host object for Rhino could be written or Myna's could
be tweaked.  I do reuse some JavaScript Myna libraries, but that could
be dropped in anywhere.

> Also, is the parser component packaged as a maven module to be easily used
> as dependency somewhere else?

Ah well, I said it was rough around the edges.  :-)  My use case
scenario right now is to drop this on a server running a commercial
mail server to be an API gateway to web applications to specialized
functionality.  A bridge to the commercial mail server so to speak.
It was a project I am working on for a client specific to their specs.
 This tiny lightweight runtime allows me drop this on a server and
have have a bridge to that system.  When I make updates, I pull all
the new JS code with Mercurial to all the servers.  The project is not
complete either.  Just the parsing and a couple of API calls so far.
So that kind of stuff will be up to you.

> Whatever the response to the 2 above questions, feel free to push it where
> you like. I will look at it :)

Kind of let me know what you think about the above to help me package
it, but also make sure you are still interested.

Thanks.

Tony

> Tks,
> - Eric
>
> [1] http://code.google.com/a/apache-extras.org/hosting/
> [2] http://www.mynajs.org/site/article/MynaPermissionsAdministrator.ejs
>

> On 13/05/2011 01:51, Tony Zakula wrote:
>>
>> Hi Eric,
>>
>> JavaScript is also extremely flexible.  With Rhino, you get the full
>> power of Java plus a lot of flexibility.
>>
>> What is the preferred spot of release?  Github, Bitbuckit, or is there
>> another?
>>
>> Tony
>>

>> On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 8:19 AM, Eric Charles<eric@apache.org>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Tony,
>>>
>>> Javascript in james server would be a primeur.
>>> But why not... there is more and more JS "on the other side" (thinking to
>>> Node.js...). I'm using today Jackson to manipulate JSON in Java, but
>>> Javascript has a more natural fit, so I understand why you choose it.
>>>
>>> We will start around end-May with MAILBOX-44, but there today no
>>> discussions/decisions on the chosen format to persist mail.
>>>
>>> I would say "don't hurry, don't put pressure on you, and keep us updated
>>> when you think to release it" :)
>>>
>>> Tks,
>>> - Eric

If