james-mime4j-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Burrell Donkin <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Headless mail renderer
Date Tue, 10 May 2011 08:00:14 GMT
On Sun, May 8, 2011 at 2:44 PM, Tony Zakula <tonyzakula@gmail.com> wrote:
> Not sure on where the project leaders want to go,

Projects are community led here at Apache (see eg [1][2][3][4]). If
there's development interest from the community and it's in scope for
the project, then that's a direction the code will move in.

> but I think being
> able to store messages in different formats to be able to plugin to
> systems would be great.  Instead of each person writing their own
> parser, most people would just plugin the larger piece to their system
> and start there.

+1

This vision seems to fit with the work over at Tika [5] and Lucene [6].

> I did not see where you specified what you are thinking about for
> summer.  Is that a link somewhere yet?

The mailing lists (see [7] and eg [8]) are the primary tools we use
here at Apache. Stuff only tends to get written down later, if at all.
We've been throwing ideas around on the lists, hoping that people
might pick some of them up and run with them ;-)

Robert

[1] http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html
[2] http://www.apache.org/foundation/getinvolved.html
[3] http://jakarta.apache.org/site/contributing.html