james-mime4j-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Bagnara ...@bago.org>
Subject Re: dom / message refactoring; was Re: 0.6.2 or 0.7 any time soon?
Date Tue, 18 Jan 2011 16:46:27 GMT
Il 17 gennaio 2011 17.43.37 UTC+1, Oleg Kalnichevski
<olegk@apache.org> ha scritto:
> Stefano et al
>
> Please review another round of API changes on the refactoring branch.
> Here is the gist of most important changes
>
> * Most of the object model implementation logic moved from 'dom' to
> 'message'. 'dom' consists mostly of pure interfaces now that do not
> impose particular internal structures, a particular implementation or a
> particular inheritance hierarchy.

I think we loose an opportunity to keep backward compatibility in
future when we want to add methods to the 4 classes you transformed in
interfaces and I don't see advantages in turn, but, on the other side
I think we should feel free to break backward compatibility even in
future versions so this is not a big drawback and I can live with the
change (just hoping this won't be a blocker in future).

> * All dom element copy / parse logic moved from individual classes to a
> utility class currently called MimeBuilder (I would prefer this class to
> be called MessageBuilder but this name is already taken)

Maybe we should expose some of the MimeBuilder methods via the
MessageBuilder "public" factory: the bigger limit of the current DOM
api is that it doesn't expose methods to create a structured Message
from scratch (it let you set a new Body but it doesn't give a way to
create a Body). So the MimeBuilder methods could already be moved to
MessageBuilderImpl. BTW I'm just loud thinking, just go ahead with
your plan :-)

> Please let me know if you can live with these changes and whether it is
> ok to merge them down to trunk.

ok.

Stefano