james-mime4j-dev mailing list archives

From Noss Benoit <benoit.n...@secu.lu>
Subject Re: Headless mail renderer
Date Mon, 24 Jan 2011 10:42:22 GMT
Hi Stefano,
thanks for your answer. In the past, I already tried to do this with the
javax.mail.Message class.
it was not a big success..., and found lots of issues due to the variety
of incoming mails, so couldn't get in production.
With each parsed Message, I tried to build in parallel a xhtml page
representing its content (From: To: Subject: Date: and body content)
When the attachement was a message, I recursively went into it and
appended info found in the xhtml I previously created
When I found html, I tried to transform it to XHTML with tidy, then to
PDF with iText
                                     when XHTML transformation failed
and had a multipart/alternative, I then rendered txt to PDF
When I found attached images, I rendered them to PDF
When I found office documents I didn't transform them
After that I merged all created PDF in one big PDF and checked it in to
Documentum DB (for one message, one pdf)

The aim of the project is not to have a pretty rendering of all mail,
it's just to keep track of messages our client sent.

I faced three big issues :
0/ multipart/mixed with inline image content in "cid:...."
1/ like you said html to pdf rendering is difficult and (tidy+iText or
multipart/alternative) was not always working.
     If only I could use the Mozilla components to render it, but my
understanding of it is not high enough
2/ Special caracters and encoding pb in headers and attached file names

BenoƮt.