james-mime4j-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: svn commit: r1061294
Date Thu, 20 Jan 2011 13:54:18 GMT
On Thu, 2011-01-20 at 14:36 +0100, Norman Maurer wrote:
> Hi Olek,
>
> may I ask you whats the goal of this ? Is it just a prefered style of
> doing stuff or more to make it easier to extend it ?
>
> Thx,
> Norman

The current mime4j API in trunk is inconsistent about the way various
classes expose formatting and parsing methods. For instance,
AddressBuilder / AddressFormatter / MimeBuilder methods are all static,
whereas MessageWriter methods are non static, but the class provides a
static DEFAULT instance for convenience. I do not have a strong
preference for either of two styles as long as things are consistent
across the entire library. I thought UtilityClass#DEFAULT style had a
slight advantage of giving the users an option of overriding
implementations of individual methods, so changed similar utility
classes to use the same style mainly for the sake of consistency.

I can happily revert to all static methods as before as long as it is ok
to change MessageWriter as well.

Oleg