james-mime4j-dev mailing list archives

From Norman Maurer <nor...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Issue Decoding PDF Attachments
Date Mon, 27 Dec 2010 19:17:24 GMT
Hi there,

what version of mime4j ?

Bye
Norman

2010/12/27 Max Gravitt <max.gravitt@gmail.com>:
> Hi,
>
> I have an application (running on Google App Engine) that strips attachments from inbound
emails and saves them as a byte[] in the JDO data store.  I think I'm running into a decoding
issue, but I'm unsure of the true issue or the resolution.  I'm finding that for some files,
it embeds equal signs in places where the original document doesn't have any equal signs.
 I've found that MS documents and HTML are rather tolerant of this behavior, but PDFs tend
to get corrupt when this happens.  Also, it doesn't happen with all PDFs and it seems that
it only happens when the attachment is has a transfer encoding of "quoted-printable".

> I'm using MimeStreamParser and I extended SimpleContentHandler (bodyDecoded method).
 Then, I use IOUtils.toByteArray(InputStream) to get the bytes that I save.  Any idea of
what I may be missing?

> Below is an example of the contents of a PDF from the "more" command.  You can see the
equal signs from the second representation of the file.