james-mime4j-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Burrell Donkin <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [cycleclean] branch review and questions
Date Thu, 07 Jan 2010 14:43:23 GMT
On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 1:32 PM, Oleg Kalnichevski <olegk@apache.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-01-07 at 13:34 +0100, Stefano Bagnara wrote:
>> 2010/1/7 Oleg Kalnichevski <olegk@apache.org>:

<snip>

>> > I personally prefer to have your changes merged in several iterations,
>> > package by package, starting with low level stuff in 'parser' and 'io'
>> > packages. Feel free to ignore me, though.
>>
>> It is NOT possible. Just look at the changelog. Every step is very
>> well explained in the commit and in the relative JIRA issue.
>>

> Isn't it great that now we have 'all or nothing' decision to make?

<sigh>
i should have probably posted something earlier but it's hard for me
to justify time on this

IMHO the "rules for revolutionaries" only really works for large
projects with lots of developers

at james, IMO forking the code base was a fundamental reason why the
development community almost destroyed itself a few years ago. so i've
tried to persuade people to work together on trunk whether development
can be collaborative, not on branches.
</sigh>

rather than start this destructive cycle again, might i suggest that
the branch is just used as a useful sandbox and changes are cherry
picked rather than merged.

- robert