james-mime4j-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Bagnara <apa...@bago.org>
Subject Re: [cycleclean] branch review and questions
Date Thu, 07 Jan 2010 15:18:23 GMT
2010/1/7 Robert Burrell Donkin <robertburrelldonkin@gmail.com>:
> this seems like a revolution not an evolution

Yes, I think mime4j needs revolution now if we want to fix the api
before 1.0, that's why I proposed a revolution.

> unless consensus emerges very quickly, i'm will invoke "Rules For
> Revolutionaries" and veto any merger. this means though it's cool to
> fork and the fork can be a peer, it's not cool to split the community
> by forking and then forcing replacement.

Sorry Robert, I had some days to work on mime4j code, and I had 4 options:
1) wasting the days discussing.
2) working locally in a private branch.
3) working in a public branch inside ASF
4) working in a public branch elsewhere

I chose 3. I'm happy I didn't chose 1 because if few days I produced
something useful to me. Now it's the time for discussing whether it is
useful for the community or not and also time to let me reconsider 3
in favor of 2 or 4, if you think it is more appropriate. I WON'T
anymore discuss too much before coding.

> stefano clearly has a vision, and this vision may not be obvious to
> others. he should pursue it in a releasable peer fork which may (one
> day) become mime4j n.0.

I don't care too much of this stuff. I care about the community and I
care about mime4j code. If you prefer me to work in private branches
or in repositories outside the ASF I can easily do one of the two. I
just thought it was better for all of you to see the evolutionary
steps that brought me to a revolution.

You may have noticed that I didn't propose to merge. Instead this
thread started with "I'd like to collect thoughts on what I did, to
understand if you like the direction or not".

If you all don't like it, then there is nothing to discuss or to be
sorry :-) If you want to remove the branch for me this is a NON-issue.
I'll take care to clean the repository and JIRA according to your
decisions. My opinion is only 1 vote. You, Oleg and Markus are other 3
active members, and we also have more PMC members.. If you like the
code I write then you can take the benefits, otherwise we are all
happy anyway. really.

So, feel free to take your time. If you think it worth looking at the
code I did in the branch then take your time and ask your questions,
otherwise if noone think it worth looking at the branch then simply
tell this and let's remove the branch from there.

Stefano