james-mime4j-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: SMTP Transport?
Date Sun, 22 Nov 2009 23:31:31 GMT
Norman Maurer wrote:
> Hi Oleg,
>
> I would be very interested in this :-)
>
> Bye,
> Norman

Folks,

I finally have the library in a fairly usable (or shall I rather say
testable) state. I can now send messages to the postfix daemon using my
SMTP client transport and have the messages passed onto the local LMTP
agent based on the same transport code for local delivery.

In essence I have a reasonably complete SMTP/LMTP transport library that
implements RFC 2821 (minimum implementation), RFC 2033, plus a number of
extensions required by LMTP: RFC 2034 (ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES), RFC 1854
(PIPELINING), RFC 1652 (8BITMIME).

The code is still very experimental but good enough for getting the feel
of the API.

Here's the sample of the LMTP transfer agent

http://code.google.com/p/lightmtp/source/browse/trunk/src/examples/java/com/ok2c/lightmtp/examples/LocalMailServerTransportExample.java

Envelop validation / message delivery can be fully asynchronous. Long
running processes such as DB or LDAP queries can be executed without
blocking the I/O transport.

The client side transport can either be event (callback) driven

http://code.google.com/p/lightmtp/source/browse/trunk/src/examples/java/com/ok2c/lightmtp/examples/LocalMailClientTransportExample.java

or future driven

http://code.google.com/p/lightmtp/source/browse/trunk/src/examples/java/com/ok2c/lightmtp/examples/MailUserAgentExample.java
http://code.google.com/p/lightmtp/source/browse/trunk/src/examples/java/com/ok2c/lightmtp/examples/SendMailExample.java

The mail user agent can maintain a pool of persistent connections that
can be reused for subsequent delivery requests.

The NIO framework is basically a fork of Apache HttpCore with all HTTP
dependencies removed.

http://code.google.com/p/lightnio/

You would have to get the latest snapshots of both libraries in order to
run samples.

I developed this code for my private use. If you do not think this is
something that can be potentially useful for a larger user base, just
ignore my message.

Cheers

Oleg