james-mime4j-dev mailing list archives

From Markus Wiederkehr <markus.wiederk...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Soft line breaks in quoted printable decoding
Date Tue, 18 Aug 2009 19:11:00 GMT
On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 3:03 PM, Alejandro
Valdez<alejandro.valdez@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi list, I noticed that the class QuotedPrintableInputStream expects
> that the input stream is encoded using CRLF as line terminator (in
> particular, when dealing with quoted printable soft line breaks), but
> I have found that some e-mails are encoded using LF as line
> terminator. In such cases QuotedPrintableInputStream leaves in the
> decoded output a =LF for each line with a soft line break.
>
> I tried to find what RFC specifies that a mime e-mail should uses CRLF
> as line terminator, but I could not find it...
>
> I patched my QuotedPrintableInputStream class to identify =LF as a
> soft line break, it works ok, but maybe I missing something.

Lines have to be terminated with CRLF if a message is transmitted via
SMTP (see RFC 5321 section 2.3.8.).

As far as I know this only applies when the message is transferred. It
does not apply to the message itself, e.g. when it is stored on disk.

So QuotedPrintableInputStream should probably accept other line endings I guess.

Other opinions?

Markus