james-mime4j-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: ThreadLocal in CodecUtil.copy()?
Date Mon, 17 Aug 2009 15:13:18 GMT
On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 04:22:40PM +0200, Markus Wiederkehr wrote:
> CodecUtil.copy(InputStream, OutputStream) allocates a new byte array
> with 1024 bytes on each invocation.
>
> I wonder if we could use a ThreadLocal instead so that the buffer
> could be reused within the same thread? Buffers would automatically be
> freed once their thread terminates.. I'd reduce the size to 512 bytes
> though.
>
> This way methods like DecoderUtil.decodeBase64() could use copy() even
> if they need only copy a few bytes.
>
> Opinions?
>
> Markus

Here is my personal opinion on the matter. The use of ThreadLocals in a reneral
purpose library ought to be avoided. They can (and usually do) cause enourmous
amount of grief if misused.

ThreadLocals should be used only if there is a reliable way of unsetting them,
for instance by using a try - finally construct in a servlet filter.

Take it for what it is worth to you.

Oleg