james-mime4j-dev mailing list archives

From Markus Wiederkehr <markus.wiederk...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: SMTP Transport?
Date Fri, 12 Jun 2009 11:49:15 GMT
On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 11:39 AM, Stefano Bagnara<apache@bago.org> wrote:
> Oleg Kalnichevski ha scritto:
>> On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 04:30:58PM +0200, Markus Wiederkehr wrote:
>>> I've written a class SmtpTransport that can be used to send a Mime4j
>>> message to an SMTP server.
>>>
>>> Currently it is very simple. Meaning it is not yet capable of
>>> authentication or TLS or other extensions.
>>>
>>> Would it be worth to include this code in Mime4j?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Markus
>>>
>>> PS: Testing is a bit of a PITA with sockets and all.. Robert, could
>>> MPT help with that? I haven't looked into it yet..
>>
>> Markus et al
>>
>> _Coincidentally_, I have been working on a LMTP agent and LMTP client with
>> support for mandatory extensions required by LMTP [1]: PIPELINING,
>> ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES and 8BITMIME. The implementation is based a NIO framework
>> derived from HttpCore NIO and should be quite scalable. This is my private
>> project, but if there is interest in such work, I am willing to contribute it
>> to James. Alternatively you are very welcome to contribute to the effort. It is
>> ASLv2 licensed.
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Oleg
>>
>> [1] http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2033.txt
>
> I'm interested in email client, too.
>
> But I'm against putting this stuff in mime4j. A new JAMES sub-project
> (product) would be a better place.

Why not start with a Mime4j module?

Later it can become an independent product. That product would have to
have a Mime4j-submodule though because I'd like to have that
higher-level API that accepts a Mime4j message and extracts sender and
recipient addresses from it, too.

> I'd like to see the sources to understand if it is something I will be
> interested in collaborating. I wrote a NIO SMTP client, too :-) (MINA).

Out of curiosity, how do filter a stream with NIO? (Canonical CRLFs,
escape dots at the beginning of a line.)

A Mime4j message has a writeTo(OutputStream) method.. What would have
to be done on that side? Add a writeTo(WritableByteChannel) method?

And is it worth it? I mean I've never had performance problems with
JavaMail's transport which is stream based..

Markus