james-mime4j-dev mailing list archives

From Markus Wiederkehr <markus.wiederk...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: SMTP Transport?
Date Thu, 11 Jun 2009 21:14:17 GMT
On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 5:31 PM, Stefano Bagnara<apache@bago.org> wrote:
> I'm not sure how MIME4J and SMTP transport are related.
> SMTP and MIME spec have not "interfaces" between them and for SMTP a
> mime message is simply a stream.

You are right but AFAIK there is no simple way to send a Mime4j
message. You cannot use the Java Mail API because it expects a
MimeMessage. Commons Net does not look very attractive.. I don't know
of other alternatives.

> An SMTP client should simply have a way to offer an outputstream to the
> mime library or ask for an inputstream from the mime library: do I miss
> any other integration point?

No, except a higher level API could automatically extract sender and
recipient addresses from the message, for example.

Do you know of a solid low-level API that offers an output stream?
That would be ideal.

It should offer authentication and TLS, otherwise I have to write that
stuff myself.

Markus