james-mime4j-dev mailing list archives

From Markus Wiederkehr <markus.wiederk...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: SMTP Transport?
Date Thu, 11 Jun 2009 21:08:07 GMT
On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 5:15 PM, Robert Burrell
Donkin<robertburrelldonkin@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 3:30 PM, Markus
> Wiederkehr<markus.wiederkehr@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I've written a class SmtpTransport that can be used to send a Mime4j
>> message to an SMTP server.
>>
>> Currently it is very simple. Meaning it is not yet capable of
>> authentication or TLS or other extensions.
>>
>> Would it be worth to include this code in Mime4j?
>
> so long as it's in a separate module, i'd say yes for now
>
> commons net (http://commons.apache.org/net/) already supports SMTP.
> it's probably worthwhile having a bit of a think where the new mime4j
> code would fit into the ecosystem...

I ran svn2cl in NET's o.a.commons.net.smtp package and there was no
real development in the last 6 years except for a fix for NET-178 (and
I did not look farther back).

There does not seem to be ESMTP support, not even for EHLO.

SMTPClient.sendMessageData() returns a Writer instead of an OutputStream.

Does not look very promising to me..

> <snip>
>
>> PS: Testing is a bit of a PITA with sockets and all.. Robert, could
>> MPT help with that? I haven't looked into it yet..
>
> yes but a little work would be required
>
> BTW the first MPT release needs one more vote if you have a few spare
> cycles to review it

What would you want me to do? Compile and review the source? Is there
some kind of checklist I should follow?

Markus