james-mime4j-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Burrell Donkin <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r768540
Date Wed, 29 Apr 2009 20:41:39 GMT
On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 8:49 PM, Markus Wiederkehr
<markus.wiederkehr@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 9:21 PM, Robert Burrell Donkin
> <robertburrelldonkin@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Hi Markus
>>>
>>> I am not sure I understand. The profile basically disables the staging
>>> repository which I suspected was the cause of the problem.
>>>
>>> Folks,
>>>
>>> I am sorry if this sounds like a silly question, but why do we need a
>>> staring repository in the first place?
>>
>> history
>>
>> AIUI it was originally developed as a solution to address security
>> concerns about the maven repository. it's been retained so far to
>> allow off line maven builds. personally, i'm agnostic towards it.
>
> Would it be possible if we hosted our own Maven repository somewhere
> at apache.org and point our POMs there?

no - apache's release distribution policy wouldn't allow it (which is
why the main maven repo is off shore)

> Or wouldn't this solve the problem?

the security concerns don't seem to be such a burning issue any more.
the stage is only kept around since it's useful for offline builds.
personally, i'm agnostic about that issue.

- robert